Saltymikes Oyster Stew SupremeFrom saltymike 7 years ago
- 2-3 pints shucked oysters with liquor shopping list
- 3-4 large potatoes, diced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 6 chicken bullion cubes shopping list
- ¼ cup chopped parsley shopping list
- 2 sticks + 2 Tbsp butter (lightly salted is OK) shopping list
- 1/2 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 quart half and half shopping list
- 1 quart whole milk shopping list
- salt and black pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in heavy skillet. Separate oysters from liquor. Season oysters with salt and black pepper and sauté in butter until edges begin to curl. Remove from heat and place to side.
- Steam diced potatoes in a large Dutch oven until fork tender. Drain water from the pot.
- While potatoes are hot add buttermilk, 2 sticks butter, garlic, parsley and chicken bullion to the pot and season with salt and black pepper. Mash as if preparing mashed potatoes.
- Add half and half to the pot. Whisk over low heat until the mixture forms a thick paste.
- Add buttered oysters, oyster liquor, approx. half of the whole milk to pot. Bring to a low boil, whisking constantly. Slowly add more milk until the broth is “stew thick.”
- Reduce heat to warm. Re-season if necessary.
- Serve hot with garlic toast.
- Note: For a great twist add 1 can of tomato paste, 2 tsp of sugar and a dash or two of cider vinegar.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cooksaltymike Naples, FL
The Rating4 people
Just like my Mother used to make when I was young in the 50's One of my most favorite dishes ever!!
High 5 forks here
Dougschubo52 in North Chicago loved it
Oh, I'll make this with the "twist" for sure. Gotta love it, thanks SaltyMike!!notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
I love plain old oyster stew, this sounds even better.cheryilyn in Salem loved it