Southern Style Buttermilk BiscuitsFrom hurricanelena 7 years ago
- 2-2 1/2 Cups flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2-3 Tablespoon butter or margarine, cold shopping list
- 1/2 Cup shortening, cold shopping list
- 1/2 - 3/4 Cup buttermilk shopping list
- Extra flour for dusting shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 C).
- Lightly grease baking sheet or 9" X 13" glass pan.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Cut butter into small cubes and add to dry ingredients. Use fingers or pastry mixer to coat the flour with butter until it is throughly mixed. Mixture should become crumbly.
- Add shortening to mixture one tablespoon at a time with same method as butter. Dough will become moist and sticky.
- Add milk.
- Add extra flour as needed until dough can be handled without sticking to hands.
- Lightly flour surface and rolling pin and roll out dough to about 1/2" thick. Use either circle cooking cutter or medium drinking glass to cut out biscuits and place on baking sheet if darker biscuits are desired, or glass dish if softer ones are desired.
- Bake for 15 min or until biscuits are a golden brown.