Hot And Sour SoupFrom bondc 7 years ago
- 1/4 lb. ham, in matchsticks shopping list
- 1/2 lb. boneless chicken, in matchsticks shopping list
- 8 dried Chinese black mushrooms (or shiitakes) shopping list
- 8 fresh mushrooms shopping list
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, cut into tiny matchsticks shopping list
- 1 small can bamboo shoots shopping list
- 4 green onions shopping list
- 1 quart chicken stock shopping list
- 1 T. each: dark soy sauce and light soy sauce shopping list
- 4 T. cornstarch, mixed with 4 T. water shopping list
- For each individual serving: shopping list
- 1 t. dry sherry or rice wine shopping list
- 1/4 t. black pepper shopping list
- 1 t. black vinegar shopping list
- 1 t. sesame oil shopping list
How to make it
- Add just enough boiling water to just cover the dried mushrooms and let them soak for 30 minutes. Squeeze dry, stem, and add the soaking liquid to the stock. Shred mushroom caps.
- Mince the white parts of the green onions and reserve. Cut the green tops into bite-sized pieces, and distribute them among the serving bowls.
- Stem the free mushrooms and shred the caps. Cut the bamboo shoots into matchsticks (and whatever else you decide to add).
- In a very hot wok over a high flame, add about a tablespoon of oil, swirl, then add the ginger. Stir just a second, then add the bamboo shoots, fresh and dried mushrooms, and any other vegetables you decided to add. Stir-fry just until the fresh mushrooms have started to darken. Add the stock mixture and both soy sauces, the ham and chicken, and bring to a boil (taste, and add salt if necessary). Simmer for about five minutes, until the chicken is done. Add the cornstarch/water mixture and stir until just thickened. Turn off the heat.
- Put the sherry, pepper, vinegar, and sesame oil into each individual bowl,then fill each with the hot soup. Serve.
The Cookbondc State College, PA
- Not added to any groups yet!