My Grandmother Mabels Old fashioned Oyster CasseroleFrom helewes 8 years ago
- Mabel’s oyster Casserole shopping list
- 1 cup coarsely crumbled saltine cracker crumbs shopping list
- 1 quart shucked fresh oysters (30-40, depending on size) shopping list
- (2- 6 ounce containers if fresh oysters are unavailable) shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- 1 TBSP. fresh lemon juice shopping list
- Salt to taste shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper shopping list
- 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
- 1 cup light cream shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk shopping list
- Dash of Tabasco sauce (optional) shopping list
- paprika for dusting shopping list
- Preheat over to 400 degrees. shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- Drain oysters well.
- Generously grease a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle half of the cracker crumbs over the bottom.
- Lay half of the oysters on top of the crumbs,
- then sprinkle with half of the onions, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Dot generously with butter and pour on half of the cream and milk. Repeat layers but save the remaining crumbs for the top.
- Add a dash of Tabasco if desired before covering with the crumbs. Dust the top with paprika, using enough to make it really red.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Serve hot.
- Makes 6 servings.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cookhelewes Newton, NJ
The Rating4 people
I love oysters. But hardly eat them. It's funny I was thinking the other day that I need to get some. This might do the trick.
Donna A.donnaja1231 in Moffat loved it
This sounds great.cheryilyn in Salem loved it