Eggplant Stuffed With Beef And Herbed Chevre CheeseFrom lillyann 6 years ago
- 2 small roundish eggplants (or 1 regular long large ones) shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 1 cup cooked ground beef (a little less than 1/4 lb raw seasoned ground beef ) - you can use whatever already cooked meat you have had that can be minced or chopped up, since you don’t need very much for 2 eggplants) shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 large clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 small tomato chopped shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley shopping list
- 1 tablesppon chopped mint (since my Chèvre was herbed, I skipped this so I wouldn’t have too many flavors running amok) shopping list
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs shopping list
- 2 oz soft goat cheese (I used a soft herbed Chèvre, you can use a soft feta or any soft white cheese you prefer) shopping list
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar (or enough to top the eggplants) shopping list
- olive oil for cooking shopping list
How to make it
- If you are not starting with cooked ground beef ;-) season the ground beef with salt, pepper, garlic and green seasoning and let rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge or while you prepare the eggplant.
- 2. Prepare the eggplant
- * Slice the eggplants in half lengthways
- * Scoop out the flesh leaving about 1/2 cm on the skin (it should still be firm and you don’t want to see the purple skin inside)
- * Sprinkle salt on the inside of the shells and invert onto a wire rack over a baking sheet. Leave to drain for at least 30 minutes
- * Dice the flesh, salt and place in a colander over a bowl and leave to drain for at least 30 minutes
- * Rinse the shells and pat dry with paper towels
- * Rinse the chopped eggplant and drain out the liquid
- Brush the insides of the shells with some olive oil and place on a baking sheet in a 350°F oven for about 15-20 minutes until the shells are soft and lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, make the stuffing. Add the beef to a skillet over medium high heat and cook until brown, breaking up any clumps. Drain the fat and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet and saute the onions until translucent. Add the chopped eggplant and minced garlic and cook until the eggplant is soft.
- Add the beef and mix well.
- Add the tomato and parsley and mix well. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add a couple tablespoons of water, mix and lower the heat. After 5 minutes, add the breadcrumbs and mix well to combine. The mixture should be mushy but not dry.
- Take off heat and add the cheese and mix well until the mixture is creamy and the cheese is well incorporated.
- Divide the stuffing equally between the shells. Bake in the 350°F oven for about 20 minutes. Take out of oven and top with cheddar cheese. Return to oven and let cook for 5-7 more minutes until the cheese topping is to your liking. I just wanted it a bit melted and set..
- NOTE: You could also make these vegetarian by adding more veggies (sweet peppers, mushrooms etc) and soya or tofu. And of course vegetarian cheeses.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cooklillyann Chicago, IL
The Rating4 people
I think I'll make this tomorrow for lunch but sub chopped sauted shrimp for the beef (we don't eat meat on Fridays...year round...my husband is old school...lol). Thanks for the recipe!turlak in Spring loved it
wonderful post!gabrielle in Austin loved it
I made this w/ baby scallops...really good!turlak in Spring loved it