Olla Gitana Gypsy PotFrom darbar 8 years ago
- 2 14-oz cans chickpeas, drained shopping list
- 1 fat carrot, peeled and thickly sliced shopping list
- 9-10 cups rich chicken or vegetable stock shopping list
- 1 lb. pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks shopping list
- 10 oz. green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths shopping list
- 2 small slightly underripe pears (such as Anjou), peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks shopping list
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- a handful of blanched almonds shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika (not smoked) shopping list
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 pinch saffron threads, crumbled and steeped in a few spoonfuls of hot stock for fifteen minutes shopping list
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar, or more to taste shopping list
- 2 tablespoons slivered fresh mint shopping list
- crusty bread and butter for serving (you can also easily serve this over rice or couscous) shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the chickpeas, carrots and enough stock to come about 1 1/2 inches above the top in a large heavy pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the pumpkin, green beans and pears and season with salt to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered until the vegetables have softened, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the almonds and garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl, leaving behind as much oil as possible, and set aside.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika and stir for a few seconds, add the tomatoes and a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid and cook until the tomatoes soften and reduce, about 7 minutes.
- Gently stir the tomato mixture and the saffron into the pot with the chickpeas.