Almond Spanish Cookies PolvoronesFrom inmaculada 9 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Measure and pour flour out onto a cookie sheet. Place in oven and "toast" the flour. Occasionally move the flour around on the sheet, so that it toasts evenly. Leave in oven for about 8 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Place raw almonds on another cookie sheet. Toast the almonds until they change color just slightly. Remove and place almonds into a food processor. Process almonds until they are finely ground.
- Cream lard, sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour and finely ground almonds and continue mixing. The dough will be very crumbly!.
- Place a sheet of waxed paper on a cutting board or other flat work surface. Press the dough together to form a ball. Then press the dough onto the waxed paper. Carefully flatten it down to about 1/2 inch. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
- Use a small spatula to carefully move the cookies from the waxed paper to a cookie sheet for baking because the dough is very dry and flakey.
- Bake cookies on ungreased cookie sheet for 25-30 minutes at 400ºF.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow cookies to cool completely before removing them. Take special care not to break them.
- Dust with powder sugar when ready to serve.
- Makes approximately 16 cookies.