Lisbon Mussels with a Parsley CrustFrom wolfpackjack 8 years ago
- 1 lb fresh mussels (farmed are best) shopping list
- 3 Tbsp water shopping list
- 1 Tbsp melted butter shopping list
- 1 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 3 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan shopping list
- 2 Tbsp fresh, chopped parsley shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped shopping list
- Coarse ground black pepper. shopping list
- Crust bread. shopping list
How to make it
- Scrub the mussels, scraping off barnacles (carefully) with a round bladed knife. Use scissors to cut off the beards. Tap the mussels and discard any that won't close.
- Place mussels in a large pan and add the water. Cover pan with a lid and steam for ~ 5 minutes, until all mussel shells have opened.
- Drain the mussels well and discard any that remain closed. Carefully snap off the top shell from each mussel leaving the meaty flesh in the bottom shell. Place and balance the shell in a flameproof dish (disposable aluminum works great) packing them close together so they will stay level.
- Preheat grill (or broiler) to high.
- Put melted butter, olive oil, grated Parmesan, parsley, and pepper in a small bowl, mix well to combine.
- Spoon a small amount of this mixture on each mussel and gently press down with the back of the spoon.
- Grill the mussel for ~ 2 minutes, or until they are sizzling and golden.
- Serve the mussels in their shells with some good bread to sop up the juices.
- Try adding a pinch or two of cayenne pepper powder, some sauted onions... whatever extra flavors you enjoy.
The Cookwolfpackjack Raleigh, NC
The Rating6 people
Thanks for another one.cheryilyn in Salem loved it
Another great sounding dish - saving this one, too. Great job... =)lunasea in Orlando loved it
Good post. Thanks. But, this old lady gotta watch the cayenne. I always seems to pich a bit too much for me.gingerlea in Tampa loved it