Southern Collard Greens - Theyre Not Just For New Years AnymoreFrom wolfpackjack 7 years ago
- 1-1/2 quarts water shopping list
- 1-1/2 pounds ham hocks shopping list
- 4 pounds collard greens, rinsed and trimmed shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional) shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- Optional: 4 to 6 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Optional: In the large pot, sweat the garlic before adding the water and ham hock.
- Place the water and the ham hock in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to very low and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add the collards and the hot pepper flakes the pot. Simmer covered for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable oil and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cookwolfpackjack Raleigh, NC
The Rating10 people
MMMMMMM.....Pass the cornbread please.angelgirl94 in Reidsville loved it
I can eat these any day of the week... just give me a pone of cornbread to go with them.....zena824 in Somewhere, USA loved it
After years and years of living in the deep South we have never developed a taste for collard greens but this is how I fix my turnip greens!!!!!! Cornbread, fried taters, fried corn and sliced maters!!!!!!!!!!!! Great post.gingerlea in Tampa loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!