PAELLAFrom greekgirrrl 5 years ago
- 1 lb fresh mussels, scrubbed shopping list
- 1 cup white wine shopping list
- 11/2 cups basmati rice shopping list
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 lb chourisam sausages (hot chorizo sausage can be substituted), thinly sliced shopping list
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, quartered shopping list
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 tsp toasted crushed cumin seeds shopping list
- 1 tsp garam masala shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp smoked Spanish paprika or plain paprika shopping list
- Generous pinch saffron strands shopping list
- 2 tbsp white vinegar shopping list
- 6 large scallops, quartered shopping list
- 20 raw, peeled and deveined shrimp shopping list
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse and clean mussels. Discard any that do not close when tapped.
- Place mussels and wine in deep saucepan over high heat. Cover, boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove mussels, reserving 1 cup broth. Discard mussels that haven’t opened.
- If desired, discard shells and reserve mussels.
- Wash rice in several changes of water, cover with water, soak 15 minutes. Drain in sieve.
- Warm 2 tbsp oil in deep heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic and sweet pepper, sauté 4 minutes until softened. Add chorizo, sauté 4 minutes. Add chicken, sauté 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, reserved mussel broth, coconut milk, rice, salt, pepper, toasted cumin, garam masala, cayenne pepper, paprika, saffron and vinegar.
- Stir gently, cover and boil over high heat. Immediately reduce heat to medium-low and cook 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm remaining oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops and shrimp, sauté 4 minutes, until just cooked through.
- After paella has been cooking 25 minutes, remove lid and gently fold in reserved mussels and sautéed seafood mixture, lifting it out of any cooking juices remaining in pan (discard juices). Fold in chopped fresh coriander.
- Cover, cook 5 minutes. Let paella sit 5 minutes before transferring to platter.
The Cookgreekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
The Rating10 people
I Love paella's thanks for a great post!uk2nyc in Milano, Italy loved it
Oh my. The wine is ready for the paella tonight;'t have chourisam sausages but I have hot chorizo sausage. Great post.dtour in Somewhere In Florida loved it
Wow!! I love making Paella! This is a great looking variation that I will have to try! SAVED!! 5 Forks girl!ddougee in Chester loved it