Greek Salad On The GrillFrom greekgirrrl 6 years ago
- 1/2 medium red onion shopping list
- 3 medium tomatoes shopping list
- 8 ounces halloumi cheese shopping list
- 1 cup oregano marinade (below in Directions) shopping list
- 3 medium hearts of romaine, halved lengthwise shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 18 to 24 kalamata olives (about 1/4 pound) shopping list
- What to buy: Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese, sold in blocks in many gourmet grocery stores. It has a high melting point, making it perfect for grilling. Kalamatas are a Greek variety of black olive, found in most groceries. shopping list
- Special equipment: Use wooden or metal skewers to make the kebabs. shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the grill to a medium temperature (about 350°F). If using wooden skewers, place them in a dish of water to soak for 15 minutes, so they do not burn.
- Slice onion half into six lengthwise wedges and place in a large mixing bowl. Quarter tomatoes and cut halloumi into 12 cubes, then place in the bowl with onion. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and gently toss to combine.
- Cover vegetable mixture with 1/2 cup of the Oregano Marinade, and gently toss until vegetables and cheese are evenly coated.
- On each skewer, thread 1 tomato quarter, 1 halloumi cube, and 1 onion wedge, followed by another tomato quarter and another halloumi cube. Place the skewers in a large, shallow dish and cover with remaining marinade from the bowl. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Brush halved hearts of romaine with olive oil, and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Reserve in a cool place until ready to grill.
- When the grill is heated, remove the kebabs from the marinade, allowing excess to drip away before placing them on the grill. Cook, turning kebabs every 3 to 4 minutes, until vegetables are tender and charred and cheese is soft; total cooking time will be about 10 minutes. About 3 minutes before the kebabs are finished, place halved romaine hearts on the grill, cut side down. Grill until romaine is slightly wilted and charred on the cut side, about 3 minutes.
- To serve, transfer grilled hearts of romaine, kebabs, and olives to a large serving platter. (If desired, remove cheese and vegetables from the skewers and chop all salad ingredients.) Drizzle a few tablespoons of the remaining 1/2 cup oregano marinade over the salad, passing extra on the side.
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 medium lemons)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed fresh oregano (leaves and tender stems only)
- 1/4 cup packed fresh thyme leaves
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process on high speed until mixture is smooth and uniform, about 1 minute. Refrigerate until ready to use.