My Mother-in-laws Fish And ChipsFrom modelsmom 6 years ago
- 4 cod or haddock fillets, cut in half on an angle shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1T baking powder shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 (12 oz) can seltzer shopping list
- 1/2 cup rice flour (not STRICTLY necessary, but recommended - it does keep the breading from coming off in the fryer) shopping list
- vegetable oil shopping list
- 4 large potatoes shopping list
- malt vinegar shopping list
- tartar sauce shopping list
How to make it
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep fryer to 325. Or heat 3 inches of oil in a deep pot.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chips, about the size of your index finger.
- Put the potatoes in oil and fry 2 to 3 minutes, remove from oil & drain on paper towels (don't worry, they're not supposed to be done).
- Increase the oil temp to 375
- In a large bowl, combine flour, bakign powder, salt, pepper, and egg. Lightly whisk, then add seltzer and whisk until smooth
- Spread the rice flour on a plate.
- Dredge the fish pieces in rice flour , then dip in the batter. Let the excess drip off.
- Put the chips in the bottom of the fryer basket and put into the hot oil.
- CAREFULLY wave the fish into the bubbling oil before putting in on top of the chips.
- Fry the fish and chips about 5 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from the basket and drain on paper towels.
- Season lightly with salt.
- Serve with malt vinegar and/or tartar sauce (preferably in a newspaper cone!)
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookmodelsmom Worcester, MA
The Rating1 people
Yes, fish and chips is big in this part of the country! And yes I have a deep fryer - don't use it much but will for this tasty recipe. Love the idea of seltzer in it. Thanks,
Valerievalinkenmore in Malott loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!