Cajun Chicken StewFrom donman 9 years ago
- vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon of butter shopping list
- 1 small chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces shopping list
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt shopping list
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 6in celery ribs, finely chopped shopping list
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 14oz cans of chicken broth shopping list
- 1 teaspoon of Donnie’s cajun seasoning Mix (or equivalent ingredients)(recipe can be found on my recipe page) shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and pat chicken dry then lightly sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Heat about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a 5 quart heavy pot (preferably cast-iron) over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Brown chicken for about 5 minutes turning after 2 ½ minutes on each side and then transferring as browned to a large plate when done. Do not over crowd the pot. Do in 2 batches if necessary.
- Using a wooden spatula, scrape the burnt chicken off the bottom of the pot. Remove the large chunks with a metal spoon.
- Add enough vegetable oil to pot to total 1/4 cup fat/oil.
- Slowly stir in the flour with the wooden spatula and cook over medium heat, scraping back and forth constantly (not stirring), until roux is the color of milk chocolate and to the consistency of pancake batter. (If roux doesn’t start to thicken after 10 minutes, add a little more flour. If it get to thick add a little more oil)
- At this point use EXTREME CAUTION, THE ROUX WILL BE REAL HOT.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and celery and cook, scraping back and forth occasionally, until onion is softened. About 5-8 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, salt and Cajun Seasoning Mix to roux mixture and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until roux is incorporated. (Roux may appear curdled initially, but will come together as it reaches a boil.)
- Add chicken and any juices accumulated on the plate, stir well, and return to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer, partially covered, and cook until the chicken is cooked through. (About 1 hour)
- Serve over rice.
- Enjoy :)
The Cookdonman Hammond, LA
The Rating8 people
Ohhhhh Mannnnnnn!!!!!!!!!! This is gonna be good, yeah! Thanks for the idea. Gave it a 5! - Susanasusana in Mandeville loved it
This looks goooooood! I love stews.. Thanks Richarduk2nyc in Milano, Italy loved it
I love chicken and I love Cajun! Guess what rating you got! :+Dchefelaine in Muskoka loved it