Southern Living Hummingbird CakeFrom cajunspices66 5 years ago
- 3 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking soda shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 3 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple, well drained shopping list
- 1 cup chopped pecans shopping list
- 2 cups ripe banana shopping list
- Cream Cheese Frosting: shopping list
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened shopping list
- 1 cup butter, room temperature shopping list
- 2 pounds confectioners' sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped pecans shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon together into mixing bowl several times.
- Add eggs and oil to the dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until ingredients are moistened
- Stir in vanilla, pineapple and 1 cup pecans.
- Stir in the bananas
- Spoon the batter into 3 well-greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes,or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto cooling rack.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Combine cream cheese and butter; cream until smooth. Add powdered sugar, beating with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
- Frost the tops layers, stack and then frost sides. Sprinkle top evenly with the 1/2 to 1 cup chopped pecans
- NOTE:THIS RECIPE MAKES 3 LAYERS.. BUT MY PICTURE SHOWS 2 LAYERS..
The Cookcajunspices66 Pineville, LA
The Rating12 people
Love this cake, great post, get another 5 from me.henrie in Savannah loved it
Great recipe! We love it too! :)rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it
Love the Hummingbird cake....so delicious. I remember the Southern Living show where the chefs did the cook-off from many many years ago. This cake has been a favorite ever since. Thanks for the reminder. Have to make one soon. Yum.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it