Blackened Tomato SoupFrom jo_jo_ba 8 years ago
- 28 oz canned, whole San Marzano tomatoes shopping list
- 2 tsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 small onion, minced shopping list
- 1 medium carrot, diced shopping list
- 2 tbsp minced garlic shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 tbsp black pepper shopping list
- 2 cups vegetable stock shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, torn shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid.
- Coarsely chop them and turn out onto a baking sheet lightly misted with PAM.
- Roast, stirring once or twice, about 30 minutes.
- Put olive oil in a deep pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot and garlic and cook 5 minutes. Add cayenne and pepper.
- Stir in stock, water, everything in the roasting pan and reserved tomato juice.
- Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Puree with a stick or hand blender. (Alternatively use a regular blender, doing it in batches and returning to pot).
- Stir in basil, cook until just wilted. Serve immediately.