Santa Fe Black Bean CakesFrom bakermel 8 years ago
- 1 lb. black beans; cleaned and rinsed shopping list
- 1 sm. onion, coarsely chopped (optional) shopping list
- 2 slices bacon or pancetta shopping list
- 1 quart chicken stock shopping list
- 2 serrano chiles; seeded and finely chopped shopping list
- 2 Tbs. ancho powder shopping list
- 1 Tbs. cumin shopping list
- 2 oz. EVOO shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Using a heavy-bottom pot, heat 1 oz. EVOO, add the onions and bacon and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the black beans and chicken stock (just enough to cover the beans), salt and cook until completely done.
- Drain well.
- Put the beans, onion and bacon through a meat grinder or food processor to make a paste.
- Season the paste with serrano chiles, ancho chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Take enough of the paste to roll it into the size of a golf ball, then pound the rolled ball between waxed paper until it forms a 1/8-inch thick cake.
- Heat a seasoned crepe or teflon pan and add 1 oz. of EVOO.
- On high heat, cook each side of the bean cake for about 1 minute (the cake will be crisp and should slide easily in the pan when done).
- Serve on a warm plate with sour cream in the center of the cake, salsa on the top of the sour cream and cilantro around the cake. (Or whatever accompaniments you like....cheddar cheese maybe?)
- Enjoy! :)
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookbakermel Topeka, KS
The Rating6 people
yummy i love black beanspeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
Bacon? Chili? Oh yes, yes, YESSSSSS! Just reading the recipe borders on the orgasmic ;) What can I say but "5"danadooley in Singapore loved it
Wow - these sound and look great, Melinda! I think we will love these a lot. Great post - thanks so much, hon. Hope you're having a good day...*hugs*lunasea in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!