Guajillo SalsaFrom jimrug1 9 years ago
- 1/2 lb dried Guajillo Chiles (Dried NuMex Chiles will work) shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- 6 large cloves roasted garlic shopping list
- 1 1/2 Tsp toasted and ground cumin Seeds shopping list
- 1 Tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 lb roma tomatoes peeled and seeded shopping list
- 2 Tsp toasted pumpkin seeds shopping list
- 1/3 cup apple Cidar vinegar shopping list
- 1 Tsp toasted and ground Mexican oregano shopping list
How to make it
- Remove stems from Chiles. Heat a heavy skillet on medium heat. Throw in dried Chiles and dry toast 3 - 4 minutes shaking the pan to prevent them from burning. They should become quite aromatic and the skin should feel hot and begin to soften a little.
- In a med - large saucepan bring the 3 Cups of water to a boil. Place Toasted Chiles in boiling water. Boil for 1 minute, cover and let sit for about 20 minutes until Chiles are soft and rehydrated.
- In a blender, puree the Chiles with the remaining ingredients. Chill for at least 30 mins. Serve Cold with Tortillia chips.
- To serve as a sauce: Heat 2 Tbls Peanut Oil in a high sided pan and refry the sauce at a sizzle for 3 - 5 mins. Add a little water if it gets too thick.
- I have used this sauce to baste Shrimp and Scallop Kabobs or spoon a small pool on a plate and place grilled kabobs on top of the sauce.
The Cookjimrug1 Peoria, IL
The Rating8 people
oh this sounds delicious - I have a whole bunch of recipes for different salsa's and hummes' I think your profile says you like lebanese food as well - I had a patient that was arabic and she gave me a whole bunch of recipes - traditional from the ol...moreravenseyes in Belcamp loved it
Thanx Jim for this. I like to use Guajillo's in most all my Mexican dishes, they have such a wonderful flavor. I agree w/dandelion that this would be a great sauce for homemade tamales.goblue434 in Anniston loved it
Great recipe thanks for posting. It's refreshing to see a salsa that different! This recipe is off the beaten path and i will definately give it a try. 5+ on this one and saved.greenlord in Montreal loved it