Roasted Eggplant Curry with Tomatoes Baingan BharataFrom shirleyoma 8 years ago
- 2 medium eggplants (about 1 1/2 pounds total) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 small fresh hot chili, seeded and minced, or other hot seasoning to taste (see note) shopping list
- One 14- to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes, with liquid shopping list
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder or garam masala shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon natural granulated sugar shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- Chopped fresh cilantro to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Prick the skin of the eggplants in several places. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, of until the eggplants have collapsed. Remove and let them cool. when ready to handle, scoop the flesh away from the skin. discard the skin and stems; chop the eggplant flesh coarsely.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden, then add the minced chili and sauté for another minute or two.
- Add the chopped eggplant, the diced tomatoes, the spices, and sugar. Stir well and cook over medium-low heat, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and remove from heat. Stir in the chopped cilantro and serve.
- Note: If you are not inclined to use fresh chiles, simply season the dish to taste with another spicy seasoning like Thai red curry paste or hot red pepper flakes.
- VARIATION: To turn this into a delicious main dish, add a 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas (drained and rinsed) and serve over a hot cooked grain of your choice (couscous, quinoa, or brown basmati rice). Also WW pasta of choice.
People Who Like This Dish 19
The Cookshirleyoma Cove, OR
The Rating8 people
I love Indian food... and this is great!berry in Winter Park loved it
I like eggplant,so this is a keeper for me! Looks delicious!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
I'm not a vegan, but dang this looks good. Thank you Shirley.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
Comfort Foods773 members
Family Favourites134 members
Unusual Combinations82 members
Anything Goes287 members
Ethnic Family Traditions Our Heritage Together135 members
From Middle Eastern Lands254 members
Organic And Natural148 members
Dont Knock It Till You Try It74 members
Cilantro Lovers130 members