Leahs Grannys Lemon Meringue PieFrom divaliscious 7 years ago
- 1 baked pie shell cooled shopping list
- 3 large eggs separated (easier when done while eggs are still cold) shopping list
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine shopping list
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon rind shopping list
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice with some pulp shopping list
- 1 cup white sugar for lemon filling shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure lemon extract shopping list
- ***for meringue: shopping list
- 6 tablespoons of Super Fine white sugar for meringue shopping list
- dash of salt for meringue shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tarter - to stabilize egg whites shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract for meringue shopping list
- ***** shopping list
- Equipment Needed: shopping list
- Double boiler, mix master such as kitchen aid or hand mixer, whisk shopping list
How to make it
- To double boiler add all of the following: cornstarch, salt, 1/2 cup of the white sugar, mix till combined then add water and stir.
- Cook over boiling water until thick stirring constantly.
- Then cover with lid and let cook for ten minutes.
- Combine egg yolks and rest of sugar into a bowl - stir till combined and add a little of the hot mixture to the egg yolks to temper them. Then add egg yolks to hot mixture and stir.
- Turn off heat yet stir mixture for 2 minutes.
- Remove double boiler from hot water, and place on trivet or counter where it is safe. While still hot, stir in butter, lemon rind, lemon juice and pure lemon extract.
- Let cool to room temperature - without stirring and NEVER cool in fridge! Keep lid off so that steam can escape.
- Once cooled, pour into baked pie shell and cover with meringue. Make sure all mixture is covered with the meringue - and place on the middle rack of your oven about 15 minutes at 325 degrees or until the meringue is lightly browned. Serve it up that night!
- To Make Meringue:
- Make sure your bowl, beaters are super clean void of any grease from previous uses. Add egg whites to bowl and start to beat.
- Once eggs have started to be white and frothy, add sugar gradually. You might want to keep beating speed on medium or medium low so that your egg whites can dissolve the sugar. This is an imperative step that will help prevent your meringue from 'weeping' later on in the day as it sits for getting ready to be eaten.
- For those of us that have kitchen aids - note, this process can be quicker than we realize being that these sort of mixers are super quick. So it is ok to beat slowly at first, so that the sugar has had the time to dissolve in the egg whites.
- Continue beating until smooth and add vanilla extract.
- To ensure all sugar has been dissolved, put a little on your fingers and rub them (as if you were making a snap) if you feel any bits of sugar, you will need to keep beating until smooth - so be careful not to over beat your meringue - which is why I suggested to beat at a medium speed.
- Once meringue is shiny and peaks form, your ready to top your pie.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating13 people
got my 5 i love lemon the sour the betterminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
sounds real good! My mom would make a mean lemon meringue pie too! Thanks for sharing
jettjett2whit in Union City loved it
I agree with you the lemon base needs to have the zest added.. great post.. got a 5 from this lemon lover..peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it