Cherry TorteFrom toleliz 5 years ago
- Base Layer shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
- 1/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 pkg vanilla sugar or 1/4 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1 cup flour shopping list
- 1 tbsp water-if needed shopping list
- cheese Layer shopping list
- 8 oz pkg cream cheese shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1/2 tsp vanilla shopping list
- Cherry Layer shopping list
- 1 can cherry pie filling-if you are in a hurry- OR shopping list
- 4 cups tart cherries; unthawed if frozen shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 tbsp corn starch shopping list
- water for cornstarch (aprox. 4 tbsp) shopping list
- 1/4 cup streusel topping or sliced almonds (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- If you are making your own cherry filling rather than using ready made then do that first. Combine the cherries along with any juice, the sugar and the water in a saucepan and bring to a boil and cook for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile combine the cornstarch with enough water to make a slurry and add to the cherries and cook a few minutes longer till the mixture thickens. Set it aside to cool a bit while you make the rest of the layers.
- For the base combine the flour sugar and vanilla sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine; add the butter which is cool and has been cut into cubes and pulse till it is in small bits. Feel the dough and give it a squeeze and see how it holds together, if you need to you can add a tbsp of water and pulse again to combine. Put the dough (it is quite crumbly)into a springform pan (mine is 9"). Press the dough into the pan and about 11/2 inches up the sides.
- Put the cream cheese, the sugar, the egg and the vanilla into the bowl of the food processor (don't have to clean it from the previous step)and run the machine till all is combined and creamy. Spread into the pan and smooth the top.
- Put the cherry filling over the cream cheese filling-it's ok if it is still a little warm and sprinkle with the streusel topping or use sliced almonds or nothing at all.
- Place in a preheated 450F oven and bake for 10 minutes then turn the oven to 400F and bake for 25 to 30 minutes more.
- Let cool to room temperature or serve slightly warm.
- Streusel Topping(this makes way more than you need for this cake but it keeps well and then you don't have to make it again next time!)3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup butter. Combine the dry ingredients and then cut in the butter till crumbly. Keep in the fridge or freezer and use as needed-it also makes a good topping for fruit crisps.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cooktoleliz Burlington, Canada
The Rating8 people
This looks lovely!auntybea in Vernon loved it
Very nice, dear.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
Oh yum! I love cheesecake and cherry pie. Great combo.jett2whit in Union City loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!