Homemade Maraschino CherriesFrom auntybea 8 years ago
- Brine: shopping list
- 2 quarts water shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon pickling salt shopping list
- 4-1/2 pounds pitted sweet cherries shopping list
- 4-1/2 pounds sugar shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- juice of one lemon shopping list
- 1 ounce red food coloring shopping list
- 1 ounce almond extract shopping list
How to make it
- Bring water and salt to a boil, stirring until salt is dissolved. Let cool for 10 minutes, then pour over pitted sweet cherries. Cover and let sit 12 hours or overnight.
- Drain cherries, discarding brine, and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, lemon juice, and red food coloring. Bring just to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar, and remove from heat. Pour over cherries, cover, and let stand for 24 hours.
- Drain cherries, reserving juice. Set cherries aside. Bring reserved juice to a boil again. Remove from heat and stir in almond extract. Pour juice over cherries.
- Pack cherries with juice in hot sterilized jars and seal according to manufacturer's recommendations. Process as you normally would.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cookauntybea Vernon, Canada
The Rating5 people
what a great recipe... thank you...peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
thanks less money spent and better cherries yes. thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
GREAT POST,adding to 'I can because I can' group.Have a great day.zanna in MOUNT CLEMENS loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!