Key Lime Sugar CookiesFrom notyourmomma 6 years ago
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon of vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon finely grated key lime or regular lime zest shopping list
- 6 tablespoons of fresh lime juice shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder shopping list
- pinch of salt shopping list
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 7 tbsp of unsalted butter softened, cut in tbsp chunks shopping list
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of lemon extract shopping list
- Icing: shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar shopping list
- 3 tbsp of fresh lime juice shopping list
How to make it
- Combine oil and lime zest.
- Let stand covered for at least 30 minutes and up to several hours.
- Reduce the lime juice in small sauce pan on stove top until it is reduced to 2 1/2 tablespoons down from the original 6.
- It will probably darken in color. no worries.
- Cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil mixture with the granulated sugar until well blended. Ad the butter beating until light and fluffy.
- Beat in cooled lime juice and vanilla and lemon extract until well blended and smooth.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture to make a smooth dough.
- If it seems to soft, let it rest to firm up.
- If it is too dry, add a touch of water (up to a tbsp).
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll out each portion between sheets of parchment or wax paper until it is 1/4 inch thick.
- Stack on baking sheets and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or freeze for 15, until very very cold.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Working one portion at a time, gently peel off top layer of wax paper and then pat back loosely in place, so it easy to remove later.
- Invert the dough and remove the second sheet of wax paper.
- Using a round cutter, 2 1/4 inch is best, cut out the cookies and then cut each round in half.
- Using a thin off set pastry spatula, transfer the cookies to a baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Reroll scraps and continue cutting until all dough is used.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 7 to 11 minutes until the cookies just barely color on the edges.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Make icing: Stir together confectioner's suar and 2 1/4 tabsp of lime juice until smooth and well blended.
- Add sugar to get a piping consistency.
- Put in a small decorating bag and pipe the icing on the cookies to mimic lime segments and pith around the outer edge of each half round.
- Easier still, drizzle each cookie with the icing and call it a day.
The Cooknotyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
The Rating10 people
these are very good...especially with some sweet tea!jett2whit in Union City loved it
wow sounds great gonna print thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
These sounds delectable. I am bookmarking this for later. Thanks!kidaria in BC loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!