Festive Saffron RiceFrom falafel_fanatic 7 years ago
- 2 cups white basmati rice (available at Indian markets, specialty foods stores and some supermarkets) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds shopping list
- 12 whole black peppercorns shopping list
- 8 whole cloves shopping list
- 6 whole cardamom pods shopping list
- 3 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick shopping list
- 4 cups water shopping list
- 1/4 cup whipping cream shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews shopping list
- 1/4 cup raisins shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse rice under cold running water.
- Place rice in large bowl.
- Add enough water to cover by 3 inches.
- Let stand 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions; sauté until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add cumin, peppercorns, cloves, cardamom, bay leaves and cinnamon; sauté until onions are brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add rice to spices and stir 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water, cream, salt and saffron.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover saucepan almost completely and cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Add peas to rice.
- Cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with nuts and raisins.
- Great with cucumber raita or mango chutney.
- The whole peppercorns, cardamom and cloves. They are not meant to be eaten, so discard them when serving the rice.
The Cookfalafel_fanatic Bardstown, KY
The Rating8 people
My husband will love this! Thanks!linebb956 in La Feria loved it
Oh my falafel! This sounds so delish! Thank you for this post, my dear!auntybea in Vernon loved it
Another wonderful recipe....delicious!berry in Riverside loved it