B L And Fried Green T SandwichesFrom keni 6 years ago
- 12 slices bacon shopping list
- 1/2 cup flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup cornmeal shopping list
- 1/2 tsp each of salt, pepper and cayenne shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 4 large green tomatoes sliced 1/4-1/2 inch thick(discard outer 1/2 inch or so of each tomato for best flavor) shopping list
- 4-6T olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise shopping list
- 2-4tsp chipotle Tabasco sauce shopping list
- 8 slices thick bread, lightly toasted shopping list
- leaf lettuce(or other green of your choice) shopping list
How to make it
- Fry bacon until brown and crispy. Drain.
- Strain grease, but do not discard.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and peppers then add buttermilk and mix until just combined.(you can also dust tomatoes with this mixture before adding the buttermilk, then dip your tomatoes in batter---it helps it to stick)
- Add 3T olive oil and bacon grease back to skillet and heat to medium high.
- Dip tomato slices in batter and fry, a few at a time, in skillet for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Drain and continue with remaining tomatoes adding olive oil if needed.
- Combine mayonnaise and Tabasco and spread on bread.
- Add 3 slices of bacon, lettuce and tomato slices to make sandwich.
- *this is best done in a well seasoned cast iron skillet!*
People Who Like This Dish 17
The Cookkeni Sweet Home, AL
The Rating13 people
Being a southern gal and a huge fan of green tomatoes, this one caught my eye and I'm glad it did. This sounds fantastic. Great post. You have my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
This sounds great...I love fried green tomatoes and BLTs are one of my favorites!gardenladyzoe in Snyder loved it
There can not be one thing wrong with this recipe! Love it! Except I had to use lard instead of olive oil and Miracle Whip instead of Mayo...Fabulous!tnjazmyn in Manchester loved it