Apple Cheese StrudelFrom toleliz 5 years ago
- Puff pastry dough -3 pieces-1 1/2 pkgs. shopping list
- cheese Filling: shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 3Tbsp sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1 tsp sugared Lemon Peel* (see note or just use the same amount of grated peel) shopping list
- 400gm container of ricotta cheese (it’s ok if it’s 454gm too) shopping list
- 10 Tbsp cream of wheat (Wheatlets) shopping list
- apple Filling: shopping list
- 5-6 good sized apples, peeled, cored and sliced. shopping list
- ½ cup graham cracker crumbs (ready made or make your own) shopping list
- ½ tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 3-5 Tbsp sugar (depending on tartness of apples)-I’ve used white or brown-both are good shopping list
- 1tsp sugared Lemon Peel* (see note) shopping list
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- Cheese Filling:
- Beat eggs with the sugar for 1 or 2 minutes till a bit lighter. Add Vanilla and the Lemon Peel along with the container of Ricotta Cheese, beat at medium speed another minute or so. Add the cream of wheat and beat till it is incorporated. Set this aside till you make the apple filling.
- Apple Filling:
- Combine everything and set aside while you prepare the dough.
- Strudel Assembly:
- Open one package of dough and unroll with the parchment paper it was wrapped in. Here in Canada I buy the Presidents Choice Buttery Puff Pastry from the freezer section. If you got the kind that is a square then you will have to roll it out with a rolling pin to about 12 x 12 inches (30 x 30 cm) . You can roll it out slightly larger if you wish; I just pat it out flat and maybe stretch it a tiny bit bigger. Spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture down the centre of the dough and top with1/3 or the apples . Make “chevron” like cuts down both sides of the dough (an equal amount on both sides) and then overlap over the filling alternating from one side to the other. Trim away the parchment paper on two sides and transfer to a baking pan. Repeat with the other 2 rolls of puff pastry dough. I use a sheet pan and all three rolls fit crosswise into it.
- Bake at 350F about 30-40 minutes or till it is a nice golden brown. You can put an egg wash over the top and sprinkle with coarse sugar before baking if you wish. Instead of an egg wash you can brush the top with a bit of cream instead. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or some ice cream if desired.
- This is best served the day it is made, refrigerate any leftovers and reheat in the toaster oven for a few minutes to crisp it up again.
- The above fillings are enough to make 3 Strudels. You can make all 3 at once and freeze what you don’t use or you can make what you need and then set the rest aside for a day or two and then make some more.
- *I peel the yellow skin off my lemons with a vegetable peeler and combine with a couple of tablespoons of sugar in the bowl of a food chopper. I process this till the lemon peel is chopped very fine and then store this in a zip lock bag in the freezer. It doesn’t ever freeze hard so I can spoon out what I need. This adds an intense lemon flavour to baked goods. I usually peel the lemon before I juice it and save the peels in the freezer till I have a couple of lemons worth and then process a bunch at once.
The Cooktoleliz Burlington, Canada
The Rating5 people
I love your tip about freezing the lemon peel...great idea. I would love to give this recipe a try it sounds delicious.debwin in Toronto loved it
Mmmmmmmm... I can imagine how this tastes and your illustrations are wonderful. Thank you for submitting your family recipe and you more than deserve "5" forks on this winner!!!lor in Toronto loved it
Wow Liz, you're doing wonderfully -- I love the how-to pictures!! And this recipe looks absolutely marvellous!auntybea in Vernon loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!