Portuguese Barbecued ChickenFrom merlin 8 years ago
- 1/3 c. fresh basil leaves, ¼ c. olive oil shopping list
- 6 gloves garlic shopping list
- 1 c. dry white wine shopping list
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 6 T lemon juice shopping list
- 4 T. tomato paste shopping list
- 1 t. hot paprika shopping list
- 1 T. red hot sauce shopping list
- ½ t. salt shopping list
- 4-5 lbs chicken pieces shopping list
- 3-6 handfuls aromatic wood chips, like cedar or pecan, soaked in water (or the remaining wine) for 2 hours shopping list
How to make it
- In a blender, combine basil, garlic and olive oil. Pulse until blended to a paste. Add other ingredients except chicken. Pulse again until it becomes a thick sauce.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Place chicken pieces in 2 gallon size plastic bags. Add marinade equally to the bags. Shake to coat.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 48 hours.
- Prepare a charcoal fire for indirect cooking, making sure that grates are well oiled. When ready, add 2 handfuls of wood chips and allow to smoke. Place chicken, skin down on hot part of grill, watching for flare ups, for about 5 minutes to sear. Move to the middle of the grill and grill about 10 minutes, until well browned. Turn and cook an additional 30-40 minutes, adding more chips as needed. For this amount of chicken you will probably have to do it in 2 batches, or use 2 grills. But don’t worry; the chicken will be even better the next day, cold. Serves 6.
People Who Like This Dish 6
The Cookmerlin San Francisco, CA
The Rating6 people
Sounds absolutely wonderful!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
Sounds awesome! A 5 from me!lincolntoot in Freehold loved it
Hey, I'm portuguese! Sounds good! :-)luisascatering in San Carlos loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!