Strawberry Sponge CakeFrom brianna 5 years ago
- 1 cup caster sugar ( Berry Ex-Fine) shopping list
- 2 tsp Grated lemon rind shopping list
- 5 egg yolks shopping list
- 1/4 cup boiling water shopping list
- 2 tblsp lemon juice shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups Self-raising flour shopping list
- 5 egg whites shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream shopping list
- 1/2 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1 tblsp icing sugar shopping list
- 500 g strawberries - washed & hulled shopping list
How to make it
- Prep - time includes putting the cake together
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease & flour 2 - 8 in round or square cake pans.
- Stir together the sugar & the lemon rind
- Beat egg yolks until light, then gradually beat in sugar.
- When very thick & creamy, stir in boiling water & lemon juice
- Sift flour twice, then sift over top of egg yolk mixture. Fold in lightly but thoroughly.
- Whip egg whites until thick & fold in lightly
- Divide mixture evenly between pans.
- Bake for 30 mins or until top springs back when touched.
- Turn out on wire racks to cool.
- Whip cream with vanilla & icing sugar until stiff
- Chop most of the strawberries & fold through 3/4 of the cream. Save the remaining cream & some whole strawberries for decoration.
- With a long, sharp knife, carefully cut cakes across the center, making 4 layers.
- Sandwich layers together with the strawberry/cream mixture
- Pipe remaining cream in a lattice pattern over the top & decorate with the remaining strawberries
People Who Like This Dish 20
The Cookbrianna CA
The Rating18 people
I gotcha a HIGH 5 for recipe and presentation
my friend!! YUMMY!! :))) ^5 * * * * *lanacountry in Macon loved it
Added to some groups as well, Bri!! :)lanacountry in Macon loved it
Wow!! Looks great and the batter also is so light and moist. Thanks for sharing.ahmed1 in Cairo loved it