Make It Yourself--condensed Cream Of SoupsFrom keni 8 years ago
- 2T butter shopping list
- 1/4 cup flour(sub your desired thickener, as appropriate, for allergies or intolerances) shopping list
- 1/2 cup stock(low sodium broth can probably be used)--veggie or chicken is usually best, I think shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk(lowfat is okay) shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- ***1/4 cup of whatever your "of" is needed to be...(ie mushroom, celery, chicken, onion, potato, broccoli, cauliflower, etc) finely chopped*** shopping list
How to make it
- In small saucepan, put butter and the "of" ingredient and cook until soft, not just tender.(if using chicken, just make sure it's cooked through)
- Add flour and stir together. It will be thick and gooey, and that's okay.
- Slowly add stock while stirring or whisking to avoid lumps.
- Bring to a boil and cook a few minutes until thickened.(if seems too thick, you can add a tsp or so more broth, just don't forget, you've still got milk to add :)
- Add milk and salt and pepper and stir until combined and thick. Taste to know your seasonings prior to using it in a recipe so you can adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- ***the main photo is cream of celery using veggie stock, and the other is mushroom using chicken stock. Please remember, you can combine ingredients to make blend, or add garlic, etc, to make a cream of mushroom with garlic, etc. Just play around and make it to suit your needs and taste!**
- PS Please note, this is a CONDENSED version of the soup...it's meant to be thick and not intended to eat straight! ;)
People Who Like This Dish 182
The Cookkeni Sweet Home, AL
The Rating27 people
Thanks again!!slj6lori in Succasunna loved it
WOW, thanks!!!!!m2googee in Tomball loved it
Great post - and how handy! I love the idea of making my own condensed soups. Thanks so much!lunasea in Orlando loved it