Homemade Hot SauceFrom mystic_river1 8 years ago
- COOL TIME included in cook time (2 2/3 c.) shopping list
- ------------------------------------------ shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 cup diced onion shopping list
- 2 medium chile peppers, such as poblano, New Mexico or Anaheim, diced shopping list
- 2-4 habanero peppers or other small hot chile peppers, stemmed, halved and seeded (see Tip) shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 pound tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups) shopping list
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1-3 teaspoons sugar shopping list
- TIP: Always wear gloves when cleaning hot peppers...protect your eye and throw the gloves out. Wash hands thoroughly. shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, chile peppers, habaneros to taste and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft and beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes, vinegar, salt and sugar to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the tomato mixture to a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot ingredients.) Set a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl; pour the pureed mixture through the sieve, pushing on the solids with a wooden spoon to extract all the liquid. (Discard solids.) Let the sauce cool to room temperature, about 1 1/2 hours.
People Who Like This Dish 25
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating13 people
nice to beable to make it at home... thanks..peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
sound's great!cheryilyn in Salem loved it
I agree with all the previous comments..I very much am into spicy cuisine...I have never thought of making my own hot sauce...and this recipe sounds Great!...stewie in Winnipeg loved it