Polish Potato Pancakes Or Placki KartoflaneFrom lor 8 years ago
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks to fit in a food processor tube shopping list
- My Personal Note: For healthier potato pancakes, I have often substituted 1 large yam or sweet potato for 1 of the baking potatoes. So good for you and wonderful flavour. No, Barb Rolek did not think of that ;) shopping list
- 3 large eggs, lightly whisked shopping list
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1-1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. freshly grated black pepper shopping list
- 4 Tbsp. grated onion shopping list
- *I increase the amount of grated onion from that found in the original recipe. shopping list
- My Personal Note: I like to add a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg which adds incredible flavour. shopping list
- vegetable shortening for frying shopping list
- Makes about 12 (3 inch) pancakes shopping list
How to make it
- Insert the grating disk into the food processor.
- Push potato chunks down into the shoot.
- While the processor is running, add the eggs, flour, salt and pepper down the shoot.
- Process until well combined.
- In a large, heavy skillet on medium high heat, add enough vegetable shortening to come to a depth of at least 1 inch.
- Heat until hot, but do not allow the oil to smoke.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of potato mixture into skillet and spread out to a 3 inch circle, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Fry until brown on the bottom (do not turn until the pancake is brown or it will stick), about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium if necessary, to prevent burning.
- Turn the pancake and fry on the other side 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with applesauce and sour cream.
- Original recipe suggests granulated sugar but I don't think it's necessary.
- Suggestion: Add 2 tablespoons grated onion and or 1 grated garlic clove to the batter, and or 2 tablespoons fried, chopped bacon, if desired.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating16 people
I would not skip the sugar/applesauce/sourcream serving for the world! This sounds deeeeeliiiiciiious! High5!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
wonderful! ^5mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
Thanks for posting the recipe Lor and allowing us to obtain it here at Group Recipe. You've got my 5 forks but quite honestly, I make my potato pancakes the same way and my recipe didn't come from Barb Rolek. My recipe came from a very old cookbook I...morechacha in New York loved it