Delaware Farm-style Chicken And Slippery DumplingsFrom mrjwjohnson 6 years ago
- 1 stewing chicken (about 4 or 5 pounds), cut up shopping list
- 4 celery ribs, chopped shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules shopping list
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning shopping list
- DUMPLINGS: shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3 tablespoons shortening shopping list
- 1/2 cup hot broth shopping list
How to make it
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; Place chicken, celery and onion in a Dutch oven. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until chicken is tender (about 20 minutes per pound). Remove chicken and keep warm. Add water to measure 4 qts. Set aside 1/2 cup for dumplings. Return remaining broth to the Dutch oven; add Poultry seasoning and bouillon.
- For dumplings, in a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture forms fine crumbs. Stir in enough hot broth to make a firm but manageable dough.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil. Roll dough to 1/16-in. thickness; cut into 2-in. squares. Drop one at a time into boiling broth. Reheat the broth to boiling over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook dumplings uncovered until tender, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately with the chicken.
The Cookmrjwjohnson Delmar, MD
The Rating11 people
Great Recipe. No one can beat anyone's Grandma's chicken & dumplings. There is just something magical about them. Brings back memories of my Grandma's farm. The chickens were caught, butchered, cooked and eaten all in the same day...;-)~ I love the...morejimrug1 in Peoria loved it
This sounds like a superb chicken and dumplin recipe - like I grew up on, the "slick" dumplins..love it, thanks so much!debbie919 in Manahawkin loved it
Yum! An interesting twist on an old favorite. Thanks for sharing! - Nataliefizzle3nat in Waterville loved it