Venison Meatball StroganoffFrom jimrug1 7 years ago
- For the Meatballs: shopping list
- 2 lbs ground venison (I use the Shoulder) shopping list
- 2 ½ Cups raw potatoes, grated shopping list
- ½ Cup sweet onion, grated shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, Minced shopping list
- 3 green onions, green and white parts finely chopped. shopping list
- ¼ Tsp. fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- ½ Tsp ground Red Chile (Optional) shopping list
- 1 ½ Tsp salt shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
- ¼ Cup milk shopping list
- *********** shopping list
- For the Sauce: shopping list
- 2 Tbls olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped. shopping list
- ½ lb Wild fall mushrooms (Shitakes or other cultivated mushrooms work fine. ) shopping list
- ¾ Cup dry sherry shopping list
- 2 Cups chicken stock shopping list
- 2 Tbls unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 2 Tbls flour shopping list
- 2 ½ Tbls fresh dill, chopped (dill seed works too. Start with less then add to taste) shopping list
- ½ Cup sour cream shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste. shopping list
- 1 1/2 lbs Amish style old fashion wide egg noodles. ( Or your favorite Egg Noodle) shopping list
How to make it
- In a large mixing bowl, wisk Egg, Milk, Salt, Pepper, and Red Chile together.
- Add potatoes Sweet Onion, Green Onion, and Garlic. Mix well.
- Add Venison and work with hands or large spoon until just blended. (do not overwork)
- Shape mixture into approximately 1 ½ inch balls.
- Layer on a small sheet pan or large plate, placing wax paper in between layers.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 - 60 minutes.
- Combine Soft Butter and Flour to form a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat Olive Oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Carefully Brown Meatballs in small batches, removing to a paper lined tray or plate when they have browned on all sides. Don’t overcook.. (At this point, you may freeze and bag extra meatballs for later use.)
- Drain fat leaving about 3 Tbls in pan. Add Onion and cook until slightly browned around edges. (5 – 7 Mins)
- Add Mushrooms, increase heat and sauté until all the liquid they have given off has evaporated. (7 – 10 Mins)
- Deglaze with the Sherry and reduce until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
- Add Chicken Stock and bring to a slow boil.
- Pinch off small pieces of the Butter/Flour Paste and add it to the boiling sauce a little at a time whisking constantly for about 3 Minutes.
- Add the Meatballs, reduce heat and slowly simmer 12 - 15 minutes.
- Stir in the Dill and Sour Cream and adjust Salt & Pepper.
- Partially Cover and heat on low until heated through.
- Serve over Buttered Noodles.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookjimrug1 Peoria, IL
The Rating6 people
Thanks for the post! I'm trying this as soon as I get one.mrjwjohnson in Delmar loved it
YES!!!! wonderful my friend...thank you. very high 5.mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
Okay, this sounds really good, Jim sweetie - but I have to admit that I have never eaten venison. I know - what a citified gal I am. But I would be a willing to try it if given the opportunity. And I don't have a tree stand or a bow, even though I...morelunasea in Orlando loved it