Make It Yourself-battered Onion Rings-ciFrom keni 5 years ago
- 3 medium onions, sliced to your preference(I use a mandolin to get them VERY thin) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups dry baking mix(I have used, and don't like Jiffy brand, because it's sweeter--Bisquick is my preference) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk shopping list
- 1T cayenne pepper(I use more--the heat doesn't stay as much as you might think, so over season, just a touch)or several dashes hot sauce shopping list
- 2t sea or kosher salt shopping list
- 2t fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- peanut oil for frying shopping list
- sour cream Ranch Dipping Sauce shopping list
- 1 cup sour cream shopping list
- about 1t each of dill, garlic powder, onion powder, chives, salt and pepper shopping list
- combine all ingredients and let set in fridge while making rings shopping list
How to make it
- Soak onion rings in buttermilk for at least 15 minutes or so(longer is fine)
- Set oil to heating in dutch oven or deep fryer(I use my cast iron) to about 350-365
- Meanwhile, combine baking mix with salt and peppers.(if using hot sauce rather than cayenne powder, add this with milk in next step.
- Pour off milk from onion rings into dry ingredients about 1/2 cup at a time, and mix gently until combined and is at a good texture. Not too thick, or too thin. Batter should stick to the rings, but not clumpy.
- Let batter rest about 5 minutes.
- Drop rings into batter in batches and toss to coat, separating rings a bit, as you get ready to drop them(carefully!!) into the oil.
- Fry onions in small batches(as always with frying, make sure oil gets back to temp in between) until just golden brown. This should only take a couple minutes.
- Drain on paper sacks or towels
People Who Like This Dish 26
The Cookkeni Sweet Home, AL
The Rating10 people
love the combo. of this flavors also thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Got my 5.jemison in Huntersville loved it
Love onion rings, will give this nice recipe a try. You have my 5henrie in Savannah loved it