Chinese Hot and Sour SoupFrom chefelaine 7 years ago
- 8 each Dried black mushrooms shopping list
- 16 each Dried cloud ear (also called tree ear) mushrooms shopping list
- water boiling --- amount as needed shopping list
- 2 1/2 qt chicken stock shopping list
- 8 oz Lean raw pork cut julienne (see note) shopping list
- Julienne is simply 'cut into little sticks'. shopping list
- 6 oz bamboo shoots cut julienne shopping list
- 3 fl oz soy sauce shopping list
- 2 tsp white pepper shopping list
- 8 tbsp cornstarch shopping list
- 8 fl oz Cold water shopping list
- 3 fl oz rice vinegar or wine vinegar shopping list
- 2 tsp oriental sesame oil shopping list
- 2 each eggs lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 each scallion, sliced thin shopping list
- 2 tbsp Chopped cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- Place two types of dried mushrooms in separate bowls.
- Add enough boiling water to each to cover the mushrooms.
- Let stand until the mushrooms are soft.
- Drain the mushrooms, squeezing them lightly.
- *****Reserve the soaking liquid.
- Cut off and discard the stems from the black mushrooms.
- Cut the caps into thin strips.
- Cut off any coarse, woody stems from the cloud ear mushrooms.
- Cut the mushrooms into half-inch pieces.
- Combine the stock and the mushroom liquid in a sauce pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the mushrooms, pork, bamboo shoots, soy sauce, and white pepper.
- Simmer 3 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with the water until smooth.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the simmering soup, stirring constantly.
- Simmer until the soup is lightly thickened.
- Add the vinegar and sesame oil to the soup.
- Slowly drizzle in the beaten egg, stirring slowly but constantly, so that the egg coagulates in thin shreds.
- To serve, top each portion with a few slices of scallion and a pinch of chopped cilantro.
- To cut the pork into julienne more easily,, partially freeze the meat first.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating53 people
Sounds Very Good Chefelaine...You probably know this about me already, But I Just LOVE soups...I've bookmarked this one to try at a later date...Thanks...Give it a 5stewie in Winnipeg loved it
Boy, this really sounds Fantastic! Got my 5shirleyoma in Cove loved it
This sounds great. Can you sub the tree ear mushrooms?juels in Clayton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!