Spicy Chickpeas In Grilled Eggplant PursesFrom turtle66 4 years ago
- 1 big glossy eggplant, slice 1/8-inch thick shopping list
- 1 can chickpeas, rinse and drained shopping list
- 1/2 onion, finely diced shopping list
- 1/4 tsp minced ginger shopping list
- 1 clove of garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 Tbp tomato paste shopping list
- spoonfuls tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 big pod of tamarind* (original recipe calls for dry mango powder) shopping list
- 1/4 turmeric powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed powder shopping list
- 1 tsp cumin seed, crushed shopping list
- 1 tsp garam marsala shopping list
- paprika to taste shopping list
- some scallions shopping list
- some cherry tomatoes, halved shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- 1 Tamarind, crack the pod and soak the pulp in 1/2 cup of hot-warm water for 30 minute. Throw away the seed but save the pulp and liquid
- 2 Soak the sliced eggplant in a big pot of tap water, add in 1 tablespoon of salt, for 30 minutes... in order to release the brown (bitter) juice from the eggplant
- 3 Take out about 30% of the chickpeas, mash them and set aside.
- 4 Pre-heat a medium-size skillet, dry roast cumin and coriander powder over very low heat for a minute. And put them aside.
- 5 Using the same pan, heat some oil, saute the onion for 2 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger, fry over low heat for 1 minute, then add tomato paste fry for another minute. Add whole chickpeas, cumin, coriander powder, garam marsala, turmeric and paprika, saute anther 3 minutes over medium heat. Add mashed peas, tamarind pulp plus its juice, and tomato sauce as needed, bring the whole thing to boil, then lower the heat let it simmer for 2 - 3 minutes. Taste and season. Scoop the chickpeas in a big bowl and let them cool off.
- 6 Pre-heat the grill, brush oil, grill eggplant over medium to medium-high heat, take about 2 minutes on each side.
- In a small pot bring some water to boil, blanch the scallion for 5 seconds or so, drain immediately. Set them aside.
- On a slice of eggplant spoon in some chickpea mixture, curl up the sides of eggplant and tight it with scallion.
- Place halved cherry tomatoes on a serving plate, sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Arrange the eggplant "purses" on top to serve.
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cookturtle66 Sacramento, CA
The Rating7 people
Very nice. So healthy, and love all of the spices. Beautiful presentation, yes.
This to me is a perfect 10!
Thank you for sharing...
Debbie~pinkpasta in Upstate loved it
g8 pic and flavourful recipe. thanks.
Cherrycherryflower70 in Dibrugarh loved it
GORGEOUS!!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it