Pizza MargheritaFrom chefelaine 4 years ago
- 12 oz Fresh, ripe plum tomatoes or canned Italian-style plum tomatoes shopping list
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- to taste --- salt shopping list
- 1 tsp garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!) shopping list
- 12 oz basic pizza dough dough (recipe included in directions) shopping list
- 6 each fresh basil leaves, torn in half shopping list
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, preferably Italian buffalo-milk mozzarella, sliced shopping list
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese optional shopping list
How to make it
- To make the pizza dough:
- 1 ½ cups ‘best-for-bread’ flour
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- Add the garlic powder to the dough and mix in well.
- The Dough:
- Combine all the dry ingredients
- Combine the yeast mixture with the beaten egg and oil.
- Add slowly to dry ingredients, mixing well, until the dough starts to come away from the bowl.
- Add more flour as needed to make the dough workable
- Gently knead the dough, folding, pressing, and turning, for about 5 minutes.
- This dough does not have to be kneaded to the smooth and blistered stage.
- Butter and flour the pizza pan
- Now, shape the dough into a ball, and gradually flatten out to fit the pizza pan.
- Let the dough sit for about five minutes to dry a little on top, then begin adding ingredients:
- Assembling pizza:
- If using fresh tomatoes, peel, seed, and chop them. If using canned, chop and drain them.
- Combine the tomatoes and 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan.
- Cook uncovered over moderate heat until the tomatoes are no longer watery.
- Add salt to taste.
- Flatten the dough and roll it out into a circle.
- Drape the dough over the backs of the hands and carefully stretch the circle to a diameter of 12 inches.
- Leave the dough thicker around the rim than in the center.
- 6. Flour baking pan surface so the dough does not stick.
- Lay the circle of dough on it.
- Spread the tomatoes over the dough, leaving the rim uncovered.
- Distribute the basil and the mozzarella cheese over the pizza.
- If using the parmesan, sprinkle it over the pizza.
- Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- Slide directly onto the hearth of a deck oven preheated to 500°F.
- Bake until the dough is browned and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and serve after letting the pizza rest five to ten minutes so everything firms up.
- Pizza Marinara
- Omit the mozzarella cheese and the basil. Increase the tomatoes to 2 lb
- Increase the first quantity of olive oil to 1 1/2 tbsp.
- In step 2, cook the tomatoes with 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin, and 1/2 tsp fresh chopped oregano or 1/4 tsp dried oregano.
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating65 people
One of my favorite pizzas!! I can't wait to try this one. Thanks, Elaine. Another winner for sure!meals4abby in Valders loved it
Aren't homemade pizza just glorious creations, elaine? This is one of my faves and your recipe rates a high 5 from me. Thanks, chefelaine!
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
thanks for the recipe, i want to eat the picture!! 5 ptsfrodo in meadville loved it