Golden French Onion SoupFrom magflower 7 years ago
- 1 qt (approx.)reduced veggie stock/ Strained and simmering on back burner shopping list
- 2or 3 yellow onions/ peeled and sliced thin shopping list
- 2cloves garlic/ smashed but whole shopping list
- bayleaf shopping list
- fresh thyme/ a sprig or two left whole shopping list
- sprig of rosemary shopping list
- any other whole fresh herbs you might have shopping list
- 4 thick slices of swiss (or havarti) cheese shopping list
- 4 garlic herb croutons (see recipe) shopping list
- butter for sauteing shopping list
- salt pepper to taste shopping list
- 1T(approx) veggie boullion (optional) shopping list
- 4 french soup crocks with a dab of butter in the bottom of each shopping list
How to make it
- croutons...take four slices of stale french bread/ coat both sides with melted garlic butter and srinkle with whatever herbs you use in soup.
- bake in 350 oven til crisp and a bit browned..flip to get both sides crisp. after you take them out of the oven, sprinkle tops with a good grated cheese like asiago and set aside.
- In the bottom of a two qt pot
- saute garlic and sliced onions in butter with the bay leaf over medium low heat till soft and liquid is carmelized add small amounts of stock if things start looking dry...watch closely so the onions don't scorch.
- When you're thinking it needs about another 5 minutes or so, pull out the whole garlic pieces (and eat them)
- throw in your fresh herbs and boullion if you're using it
- stir these around with the onions til you can smell the herbs releasing their aromas and the carmelizing is looking good
- deglaze the pot with the veggie stock.
- reduce the heat and hold it just below a simmer for about 20 minutes or so to let things marry. test for saalt pepper and adjust to your liking
- add some of the onion to each crock..removing any whole herbs as they come up.
- Fill each crock with broth to about 1/2 inch from top. Add crouton and top with cheese..cheese shouldn't sink into broth..add more broth if needed to prevent this.
- I hope I didn't forget anything.
- Put in hot 425F oven (or under broiler) long enough to melt the cheese.