Posole RojoFrom luisascatering 7 years ago
- 1 lb. natural boneless pork shoulder shopping list
- 6 organic chicken thighs (with bone preferably) shopping list
- 1 large onion, peeled (divided) shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced(divided) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (divided) shopping list
- ground cumin, to taste shopping list
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (divided) shopping list
- 24 peppercorns (divided) shopping list
- 8 Cups water (divided) shopping list
- 6 dried New Mexico chiles shopping list
- 1 12-Ounce package “Los Chileros” white corn Posole (hominy) OR shopping list
- 1 (1 lb, 13 oz) can golden hominy shopping list
- Note: if using canned hominy, drain and rinse first shopping list
- Condiments: shopping list
- homemade salsa fresca shopping list
- 1 cup diced red onion shopping list
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and cut into small chunks shopping list
- 4 limes, quartered shopping list
- 12 fresh flour tortillas, cut in thick strips and fried until crisp shopping list
- Fresh cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- If using dried posole corn (which I highly recommend), place the posole in a large pot covered with unsalted water, and cook for 3 to 4 hours, until the corn has softened. (Better done the night before; allow the posole to cool in the cooking broth overnight. Important: Salt should only be added when the kernels are nearly tender.)
- Cut pork into 1-inch cubes and place in a large saucepan. Place chicken thighs in another large saucepan. Cut onion in half. In each saucepan, place each half of onion, 2 cloves garlic, cumin to taste, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 12 peppercorns and 4 Cups water. Bring each to a boil and skim foam from surface. Cover pork and simmer for 1 hour. Cover chicken and simmer for 45 minutes.
- While meats are cooking, break open the chilies and remove the seeds and veins. Put the chilies to cook in a medium sized pot. Cover with fresh water and gently boil until chilies are very soft. Let the mixture cool then purée the chilies with a little of the cooking water in a blender to make a paste. Strain and set aside.
- Remove cooked pork and chicken from broths with a slotted spoon, shred the meats and place in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Strain broths and discard the solids. Add both broths with drained, cooked hominy and red chile puree to pork and chicken.
- Put pot on stove top and bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Taste posole and add more salt if needed. Serve in large soup bowls and add condiments to soup as desired.
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating7 people
Yummy... thanks, luisa! 5
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
You rock Luisa! Thanks for yet another incredible recipe!!meals4abby in Valders loved it
I love Posole! Your picture looks beautiful and mouthwatering, as usual! Fantasic recipe!juels in Clayton loved it