Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Southern StyleFrom choclytcandy 5 years ago
- 1 10-ounce package frozen collard greens or 1 cup cooked collards shopping list
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes shopping list
- 6 slices bacon shopping list
- 4 green onions, sliced, including tops shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 4 tbs butter or margarine, softened shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 cup finely grated swiss cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook the frozen collard greens according to package directions. Drain well.
- Arrange sweet potatoes on a baking sheet or in a baking pan and bake until fork-tender, 1 to 1/2 hours. When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice each lengthwise, carefully hollow out the inside with a spoon, and place the flesh in a large bowl. Set the potato shells aside.
- Fry the bacon until crisp in a large skillet, then transfer to a paper towel to drain, reserving the drippings in the skillet. Add the green onions and collard greens to the bacon fat and saute over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the greens mixture to the sweet potato flesh in the bowl.
- Crumble the bacon and add it to the bowl along with the cream, Parmesan cheese, butter, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer or hand masher, whip the potato mixture until smooth. Place spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the sweet potato shells, mounding it in the center.
- Top the stuffed sweet potatoes with the Swiss cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are heated and the cheese has melted.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
The Rating8 people
This sounds yummy - thanks for the recipeaussie_meat_pie in My Kitchen loved it
Now this sounds amazing. Being a southern girl myself I love those sweet taters, who would have ever though to add collard greens? Greatness her emy friend. You have my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
OH MY GOD!! This sounds fantastic!joe1155 in Munchen loved it
Grandma Junes Kitchen85 members
Southern Cooks553 members
Good Down Home Southern Food194 members
NEW ORLEANS63 members
Unusual Combinations82 members
Anything Goes286 members
101 A Cheese Place143 members
LOUISIANA LADIES75 members
Unique And Unusual Recipes84 members