Classic Chicken Fried Steak And Gravy-ciFrom keni 6 years ago
- 2lb round steak, trimmed, cut into serving size patties and thoroughly tenderized shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups flour shopping list
- 3-4 eggs(depending on size) shopping list
- salt(or your favorite seasoning salt blend with onion, garlic, etc) shopping list
- 1t cayenne pepper shopping list
- fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 3T vegetable oil(olive or canola) shopping list
- 3T butter shopping list
- 3 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1 cup milk or half and half shopping list
- 2T fresh parsley, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Season both sides of all steaks with salt(or blend) and black pepper.
- Beat eggs in large shallow pan or pie plate
- in another pie plate, combine flour with cayenne and more salt and pepper
- In large cast iron or other skillet, cover bottom with oil and bring to a medium-medium high heat
- Dredge steaks in egg, then flour mixture, then egg, then flour, again
- Let rest while oil comes to temperature.
- Fry steaks, 2 at a time on each side 4-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on paper bags or over wire rack and keep warm while finishing all steaks and while making gravy.
- Once steaks are all browned and warming, add 3T of butter to pan and stir to combine. Add about 1/4 cup of left over flour from dredging to pan and whisk together.
- Add chicken stock SLOWLY to pan whisking entire time.
- Whisk over medium heat for about 5 minutes while flavors combine and gravy thickens.
- Add milk, slowly, then fresh ground black pepper and parsley and continue to stir to combine.
- Serve steaks topped with gravy.
- *this amount of gravy is assuming mashed taters will be served with steaks...if you don't, for some reason, you may want to cut the gravy ingredients in half.....or, just make the taters ;)
People Who Like This Dish 29
The Cookkeni Sweet Home, AL
The Rating8 people
My husband's favorite meal...only difference is I don't usually use and egg wash, just the flour and I use all milk in the gravy. Glad to see I'm doing it close to how it's done in the South. I'll have to try the egg wash on mine next time to see i...morefizzle3nat in Waterville loved it
All I can say is, Delicious! Looks a lot better than the one Cracker Barrel serves! Yummo!juels in Clayton loved it
Awesome! Even for a Texas girl!broncosfan in Wellington loved it