Lavender Honey Vanilla Creme BruleeFrom aimee 7 years ago
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract) shopping list
- 10-12 fresh lavender stems (or 1 Tbs dried buds) shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream shopping list
- 8 egg yolks shopping list
- 3 Tbs of honey, preferably grainy (or 1/4 cup superfine sugar, if you'd prefer.. half and half is fine too) shopping list
- 3 Tbs powdered sugar (works best, but you can use superfine sugar too) shopping list
How to make it
- Split the vanilla bean in half, scrape off the seeds with a knife, and put the vanilla and lavender in a saucepan. (You can also put the paste in now, if you're using it as a replacement, if using extract, wait till later.) Pour the cream into the pan, then bring almost to a boil. Take off the heat and let cool.
- Whisk together egg yolks and honey (or sugar) until the mixture lightens to a creamy yellow. (Add the vanilla extract here, if you're using it.)
- Reheat the cream, then temper into the eggs, by adding a little cream at a time while continuously whisking. Strain mixture into a larger bowl. (The easiest way to do this is to pour into a large measuring cup with a spout, or to use a baster to evenly control the amount you put in each ramekin.)
- Place 6 ramekins in a roasting pan, dividing the custard evenly between them. Pour warm water halfway up the sides of the dishes in the pan to help them cook evenly, being careful not to get any water in the custard. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until custards are set with a slight wiggle in the center when you shake them.
- Let the custards cool in the water, then refrigerate for 3-4 hours. About 30 minutes before serving, sprinkle the tops with sugar (the finest sugar is the easiest to carmelize, use powdered for best results for your first time) and then carmelize using a blowtorch. Let sit till you're ready to serve.
- You can refrigerate them till you're ready to use them for a few days, just wait to carmelize them.
People Who Like This Dish 9
- Cyrusromeo Nowhere, Us
- notyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
- turtle66 Sacramento, CA
- tuilelaith Columbia, MO
- barb101 Van Nuys (Los Angeles), CA
- edmund Studio City, CA
- nanarooski Matthews, NC
- mrswolcott22 Oceanside, CA
- wylde_ivy Schuylkill Haven, PA
- mintymommybee Anderson, IN
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔