Kartoffelsuppe Potato SoupFrom bondc 6 years ago
- 2 T. butter shopping list
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced shopping list
- 8 slices bacon shopping list
- 1 t. each: marjoram and thyme shopping list
- 1/4 t. grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 quart chicken stock shopping list
- 1 t. salt shopping list
- 1/2 t. white pepper shopping list
- chives or flat-leaf parsley (for garnish) shopping list
How to make it
- First, fry the bacon. Reserving the drippings, drain bacon slices on paper towels, and crumble. Reserve the bacon for garnish, with the chives (or parsley).
- Add the butter to the bacon drippings, and over medium heat, cook the onions, celery, herbs, and nutmeg until well mixed. Cover, turn heat down to low, and cook slowly about fifteen minutes, until the onions are very soft.
- Add the potatoes and stock. Simmer 45 minutes, until the potatoes are falling apart.
- Purée the soup in batches, return to the pan and season to taste with salt and white pepper. Garnish with snipped chives and crumbled bacon.
The Cookbondc State College, PA
The Rating6 people
Didn't have the celery but made it anyway. Simmering away on this first day of below freezing weather.
GLORIOUS GLORIOUS soup. Didn't have the chicken stock so I used broth and put 2 teaspoons chicken rub in. As good as this soup is with all the substitutions I made, the propper recipe must be awesome.
Mother was screwing up her nose in all...more
Made this again without modifications. Added picture. It has a slight green tint from the celery. My first thought was a light split-pea coloration.
Didn't add any garlic this time.