Spinach Borek -flaky Spinach PieFrom kutadkubilik 7 years ago
- 20 phyllo dough sheets (1 packet usually has 40)or u can make at home shopping list
- 1 lb fresh or frozen spinach or fresh clean spinach shopping list
- 1/2 cup white cheese or feta shopping list
- 1 big onion chopped sauted with butter shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- 1/3 cup olive oil (I prefer olive oil, but others can be used too) shopping list
- 1 tbsp butter shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional) shopping list
- for home made borek dough shopping list
- 5 teaspoons active dry yeast shopping list
- 1 teaspoon white sugar shopping list
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees c) shopping list
- 1 cup yogurt shopping list
- 4 cups flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
How to make it
- Thaw phyllos according to the instructions on the package.
- -Put fresh spinach in a bowl. Sprinkle a little bit of salt. Rub spinach leaves with your fingers until wilted. Drain excessive water. (If you're using frozen spinach, let it thaw first. Squeeze to drain excessive water. Sprinkle salt and rub spinach leaves with your fingers. Drain excessive water once again)
- -Add feta, black pepper, and crushed red pepper to spinach ,sauted onion and mix well.
- -In another bowl beat the eggs and add milk and olive oil. Mix well.
- -Grease an 8 X 11.5 pan (or in a pan that's approximately the same size with phyllo sheets)
- -Layer half of phyllo dough sheets in the pan by brushing every single layer generously with the egg+milk+oil mixture.(if u make borek dough yourself ..u dont need this mixture )
- -On the 10th phyllo sprinkle spinach mix.
- -Cut the 1 tbsp butter in to small pieces and sprinkle on spinach.
- -Keep layering the rest of phyllos by brushing each layer with the mixture.
- -After putting down the last phyllo, pour whatever is left from the egg+milk+oil mixture on top.
- -Sprinkle the pie with black (nigella) seeds or sessame seeds or neither.
- -Bake in a preheated oven at 390F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- -Wait for 10-15 minutes and then cut into square pieces.
- if u wanna make at home,
- borek dough:To make the dough:
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar add yogurt flour salt
- ps:its nt form yet u can add 1 cup flour extra
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle a little flour over the dough and then cover it with a dry cloth. Let it raise until double in size.
- When its doubled size cut to dough 2 pieces and roll the dough
People Who Like This Dish 16
The Cookkutadkubilik Istanbul, TR
The Rating11 people
mmm i have had this but never made it, thanks!!foodinnewengland in Claremont loved it
Thank you- lovely!! a high 5 all the way from recipe to photo to description!!!midgelet in Eastern loved it
Beautiful! Luv Borek. Wanted to mention, one of my fave armenian restaurants serves the borek (w different fillings), & a Manti similar to the recipe you posted, but filled with meat (from memory). They also have armenian pizza & pastries, Pellmin...morecaliforniacook in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!