Killed saladFrom notyourmomma 9 years ago
- 8 to 12 slices of thick sliced smokey bacon (use the butcher's cut) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon of ball park variety mustard shopping list
- dash of apple cider vinegar shopping list
- Rendered bacon fat and enough salad oil to equal 1/2 cup shopping list
- 2 shallots minced (or one small onion and one garlic clove) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 1 beaten egg shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar shopping list
- salt and fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 12 cups of mixed greens (I like romaine, iceburg, green leaf mix) shopping list
- Generous handful of garlicky croutons shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a cookie sheet with sides (covered with foil for easy clean up) layer the bacon in a single layer.
- Bake about 8 to 10 minutes
- Pour off rendered fat and reserve for the dressing.
- Mix brown sugar, mustard and cider vinegar.
- Using pastry brush, baste the bacon.
- Cook another 5 minutes.
- Turn over baste with remaining sugar/mustard mix.
- Bake for another 3 to 5 minutes, Watch carefully here, the bacon can burn easily here.
- Cool and hide from the family snackers.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat reserved bacon fat and oil.
- Saute shallots (or onion and garlic) til soft but not brown.
- Mix vinegar, egg and sugar.
- Stir mightily to dissolve the sugar.
- Season with a pinch of salt and lots of ground pepper.
- Add to hot fat and cook over very low heat and make sure the sugar is completely dissoved and the dressing thickens.
- Place the mixed greens in a large salad bowl.
- Pour hot dressing over the greens. (There, you've killed the salad)
- Sprinkle with crumbled cooked glazed bacon pieces and croutons.
- Toss and serve, hot or at room temperature.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cooknotyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
The Rating2 people
this is an awesome salad....have had it many times growing up.....thankspaprikamama in Lake Mary loved it