Basic Pork SausageFrom grizzlybear 5 years ago
- 10 pounds ground pork shopping list
- 4 tablespoons salt shopping list
- 3 tablespoons powdered sage shopping list
- 3 teaspoons powdered thyme shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ginger shopping list
- 1 ½ teaspoons nutmeg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon white pepper shopping list
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 cup cold water shopping list
How to make it
- Place the meat into a large oversized plastic tub. Spread the meat out so that it reaches room temperature quickly. Let it rest for about one half hour. Meanwhile, mix all of the spices together. Pour the now-blended spices into a shaker bottle. Sprinkle the spices over the meat evenly and then, using your hands, begin mixing it all together. The kneading and mixing is the most strenuous portion of sausage making. You want the spices to be evenly distributed throughout the meat, so a lot of kneading is in order. Add water if it gets too sticky.
- If using ground meat, you do not want to run it through the grinder too much, as that will change the texture. If you are grinding your own meat, pass it through the grinder only once. Hand mixing is your best option.
- When you are sure the meat and spices are fully mixed, roll a piece of sausage to about the size of a golf ball, and flatten it into a patty. Fry the patty, and taste it. If you think the meat could use a little more spice, now is the time to add it. After adding additional spices, knead the meat until it is thoroughly blended, and then test it again.
- If the spices are adequate, you can make sausage with casings or form sausage balls or patties. You can also package the meat into one- or two-pound packages and freeze.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cookgrizzlybear CA
The Rating6 people
Yum. I have made small batches of sausage. it is very easy. 5 forkssunflower48386 in White Lake loved it
Thanks Grizz! Will give this a try.gapeach55 in Covington loved it
thank you the recipe... I am trying to get back to a more natural diet since most processed foods have wheat in them... it would be nice to have sausage occasionally again..five forks
oh do you have a good Italian sausage recipe...morepeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!