Bratkuehn II Roast ChickenFrom bondc 9 years ago
- 1 large onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 head red cabbage, shredded shopping list
- 1 apple, cored, peeled, shredded shopping list
- 1/2 t. thyme shopping list
- 1/2 t. celery seed shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1/2 c. apple cider shopping list
- 2 t. apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 t. salt shopping list
- 1 roaster or capon, or 2 fryers shopping list
- 1/2 stick butter, divided in half shopping list
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- salt and coarsely ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add onion, and cook for 2 minutes until soft. Add cabbage, apples, spices, salt and pepper. Add cider and vinegar. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the cabbage mixture in a baking dish. Rub half the butter all over the cavity, then stuff with the flat-leaf parsley. Rub the remaining butter over the outside of the bird, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place chicken on cabbage, and roast, basting twice, until thickest part of the breast registers 160.
- Taste the cabbage, and salt and pepper to taste before serving.