Tomato Pesto TartFrom krumkake 5 years ago
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough, rolled or pressed to about 10 x 14 (or use phyllo dough, brushing each of 12 sheets with a bit of olive oil or melted butter, or use a pre-baked pizza crust, etc) shopping list
- 4 tablespoons prepared pesto shopping list
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs (we used finely crushed garlic croutons instead - very flavorful!) shopping list
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano (you can play around with the cheese flavors) shopping list
- 1 medium red tomato, cut into 1/4" slices (we used 3 different colored small heirloom tomatoes – very pretty, and they were very sweet) shopping list
- 1 medium yellow tomato, cut into 1/4" slices shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- couple shakes of garlic salt or powder shopping list
- 5 to 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced (we forgot to add this when it came out of the oven – was excellent as is, but we'll try this next time) shopping list
How to make it
- Press puff pastry into bottom of small cookie sheet (10x14) that has been sprayed with oil.
- Spread pesto over top of crust.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs or crushed croutons over the pesto.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese over the bread crumbs.
- Fold each side of the dough up about ½" to form a rim.
- Arrange tomato slices over cheese.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with pepper and garlic salt or powder.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over tomatoes.
- Bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and crispy.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes then garnish with fresh basil before cutting and serving.
The Cookkrumkake Chicago Suburbs, IL
The Rating8 people
this will help..great post.. have many heirloom tomatoes in the garden right now..peetapeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
Hi Krumkake. Good to see you. LUV those tomato pies/tarts. Beautiful pics too. Flagged & Perfect!!!californiacook in loved it
I love everything about this recipe. Thanks Krumkake.
Vickievictoriaregina in USA loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!