Wisconsin Cheddar And Broccoli SoupFrom chefelaine 4 years ago
- 8 oz butter shopping list
- 6 oz onion chopped fine shopping list
- 4 oz celery chopped fine shopping list
- 8 oz broccoli stems coarsely chopped shopping list
- 4 oz mushrooms chopped shopping list
- 4.5 oz flour shopping list
- 4.5 pt White stock shopping list
- 1 pt milk hot shopping list
- 12 oz broccoli florets cooked shopping list
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese grated shopping list
- 8 fl oz heavy cream hot shopping list
- to taste each salt shopping list
- to taste each white pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the butter in a heavy saucepot over moderate heat.
- Add the onion, celery, broccoli stems, and mushrooms. Sweat the vegetables without letting them brown.
- Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Cook the roux for a few minutes, but do not let it start to brown.
- . Gradually beat in the stock. Bring to a boil, stirring with a whip, as it thickens.
- Simmer until the vegetables are very tender.
- Skim the soup carefully.. Pass the soup through a food mill to purée it.
- Pass the puréed soup through a chinois or fine strainer.
- Add the hot milk to the soup.
- Heat the soup again, but do not let it boil.
- Separate the broccoli florets into pieces small enough to be eaten with a soup spoon. Add them to the soup.
- If the soup is to be served at once, proceed to the next step. Otherwise, cool the soup in a cold water bath and refrigerate until service time. Reheat the soup to a simmer when ready to finish.
- Add the cheese to the soup and stir until all the cheese is melted.
- Carefully reheat the soup, but do not let it boil, or else the cheese may curdle or separate.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating14 people
This soup is well worth the time to prepare it!! ^5!!!a1patti in Salem loved it
OM Goodness this sounds good right now! 5er for sure!justjakesmom in Everett loved it
Sound goodhungrybear in Miner loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!