Sticky Lemon Rolls with Lemon Cream Cheese GlazeFrom lillyann 6 years ago
- -lemon roll Dough- shopping list
- 1 envelope (0.25 ounces, or 2 1/2 teaspoons) yeast shopping list
- 3/4 cup milk, warmed to about 100°F or warm but not hot on your wrist shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft shopping list
- 1/4 cup white sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 4 1/2 cups flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 2 lemons, zested shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- -Sticky lemon Filling- shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger shopping list
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced * shopping list
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft shopping list
- -lemon cream cheese Glaze- shopping list
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened shopping list
- juice of 1 lemon shopping list
- 1 cup powdered sugar shopping list
- 1 lemon, zested shopping list
How to make it
- In the bowl of a stand mixer sprinkle the yeast over the warmed milk and let it sit for a couple minutes. With the mixer paddle, stir in the softened butter, sugar, vanilla, and one cup of the flour. Stir in the salt, nutmeg, and lemon zest. Stir in the eggs and enough of the remaining flour to make a soft yet sticky dough.
- Switch to the dough hook and knead for about 5 minutes, or until the dough is elastic and pliable.
- (If you do not have a stand mixer, stir together the ingredients by hand, then turn the soft dough out onto a lightly floured counter-top. Knead the dough by hand (see this video for explicit instructions) for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the dough is smooth, pliable, and stretchy.)
- Spray the top of the dough with vegetable oil, and turn the dough over so it is coated in oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a towel and let the dough rise until nearly doubled - about an hour.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar with the nutmeg and ginger, then work in the lemon zest with the tips of your fingers until the sugar resembles wet, soft sand. Stir in the juice of 1 lemon. (Reserve the juice of the second lemon for the glaze.)
- Lightly grease a 13x9 inch baking dish with baking spray or butter. On a floured surface pat the dough out into a large yet still thick rectangle — about 10x15 inches. Spread evenly with the softened butter, then pour and spread the lemon-sugar mixture over top. Roll the dough up tightly, starting from the top long end. Cut the long dough roll into 12 even rolls, and place them, cut side up, in the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the rolls with a towel and let them rise for an hour or until puffy and nearly doubled. (You can also refrigerate the rolls at this point. Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap, and place it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When you are ready to bake the rolls, remove the pan from the fridge, and let them rise for an hour.)
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Place the risen rolls in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into a center roll reads 190°F.
- While the rolls are baking, prepare the glaze. In a small food processor (or with a mixer, or a sturdy whisk), whip the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the lemon juice and blend until well combined. Add the powdered sugar and blend until smooth and creamy.
- When the rolls are done, smear them with the cream cheese glaze, and sprinkle the zest of 1 additional lemon over top to garnish. Serve while warm.
- NOTES: * On lemon zest and naked lemons: This recipe calls for quite a few lemons, and while you use the juice of some of them, you will still be left with at least a couple naked lemons.
The Cooklillyann Chicago, IL
The Rating13 people
sounds wonderful Lillyann, lemon my favorite tart flavor thanks for sharing high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Sounds delicious and pictures look really good!tanwiratchada in Bangkok loved it
This one is on my list to try soon. Thanks for sharing.
theoldprof in Belleville loved it