Beer Batter Torpedo Onion Rings With Point Reyes Blue Cheese DipFrom luisascatering 5 years ago
- 1 extra large torpedo onion (red onion/sweet yellow onions is fine) shopping list
- milk, for soaking shopping list
- beer Batter: shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle of good quality beer (I used Anchor Steam) shopping list
- blue cheese Dip: shopping list
- 1 cup light sour cream shopping list
- 1/2 cup Best Foods (Hellmans) mayonnaise shopping list
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, finely crumbled (Point Reyes prefered) shopping list
- 1 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsely, finely chopped shopping list
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice shopping list
- canola oil or peanut oil, for frying shopping list
How to make it
- For Dip:
- Mix all ingredients together in bowl and chill until ready to serve.
- Onion Rings:
- In a Dutch oven heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- Cut onions 1 inch thick, remove dark exterior of onions, separate into rings and soak in shallow baking dish with milk (enough to just cover them) for 1 hour (this mellows out the "bite" of the onion).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and egg. Pour in the beer and whisk to a smooth batter (don't over mix). See Photo
- Drain the milk from the onions. Dip each onion ring into the batter, letting the excess drip off. Carefully add rings to the hot oil. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes until crispy and brown, turning them over as needed. Drain the rings on paper towels, garnish with additional parsely (if desired) and serve with blue cheese dipping sauce.
People Who Like This Dish 32
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating2 people
Awesome, love the sound of these delights. Yummers.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Being a big fan of onions and even bigger of onion rings this sounds great. I rally like the sound of the dipping sauce. All around got a nice beat...easy to dance to...works for me...thanks.mark555 in Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World loved it